Is Your Current Workplace Toxic? Are you in Danger of Burnout?
For some people, a critical bump in the career journey occurs when a crisis of faith arrives: Realizing that they are working in a highly toxic workplace or profession. Consider this recent study of the destructive aspects of working for a bad boss.
Toxic workplaces can cause tremendous harm to employees’ mental health, career satisfaction, motivation, and self-confidence. If not addressed, employees can be vulnerable to conditions such as post-tramautic stress disorder (PTSD) and even burnout.
I have extensive research and work experience in this area, and I can recommend many sources to give you tools for assessing the quality of your own workplace environment.
For starters in this area, I recommend that you review the following articles. Try to apply them to your current or most recent direct supervisor or your general work environment:
- Job Burnout: How to Spot it and Take Action, by Mayo Clinic Staff (2021)
- 10 Signs That You’re in a Toxic Work Environment, by Amanda Deiratani, (Team Bonding, June 2021)
- 7 Tips for Dealing with a Toxic Work Environment, by Sarah Sticfvater, (Pure Wow, May 2021)
- Five Signs of Workplace Burnout, by Shainna Ali Ph.D., (Psychology Today, May 2019)
- The Neuroscience of Trust, by Paul J. Zak (HBR, January 2017)
- 12 Habits of Genuine People, by Travis Bradberry (Forbes, May 2016)